What are some common health services and consent?

Medical and dental services (Oregon Revised Statute ORS 109.640)

Minors who are 15 years or older are able to consent to medical and dental services without parental consent. This includes hospital care, as well as medical, dental, optometric and surgical diagnostic care. This would include services such as:

  • Treatment for illnesses or injuries (colds, sprained ankle);
  • Sports or camp physicals;
  • Dental visits (check-ups, cleanings, fillings);
  • X-ray services;
  • Emergency room visits;
  • Vision care (except for first time contact lens visit); and
  • Immunizations.

Mental health and chemical dependency (ORS 109.675)

A minor who is 14 years or older may access outpatient mental health, drug or alcohol treatment (excluding methadone) without parental consent. These services may include:

  • Seeking help from a psychiatrist or psychologist;
  • Seeking mental health therapy from a doctor or social worker; and
  • Seeking help for drug or alcohol use.

Providers are expected to involve parents by the end of the minor's mental health, drug or alcohol treatment unless:

  • The parent refuses involvement;
  • Clear clinical indications to the contrary exist and are documented in the treatment record;
  • There is identified sexual abuse; or
  • The minor has been emancipated and/or separated from the parent for at least 90 days.

For mental health and chemical dependency services, the provider may disclose health information to a minor's parent or guardian per ORS 109.680 if:

  • It is clinically appropriate and in the minor's best interests;
  • The minor must be admitted to a detoxification program; or
  • The minor is at risk of committing suicide and requires hospital admission.
  • Although minors age 14 and older can access outpatient mental health and chemical dependency services independently, parents are expected to be involved in their treatment at some point.
  • Involvement does not mean that adults always have access to a minor's mental health or chemical dependency records.
  • Federal regulation 42 CFR 2.14 states that if a minor is able to self-consent for drug or alcohol treatment, the minor's treatment records cannot be disclosed without the minor's written consent (including to the parent or guardian).

Show All Answers

1. Who is considered a minor and why does this matter?
2. What is consent?
3. What are some common health services and consent?
4. Who has access to Family planning/sexual and reproductive health (ORS 109.610, ORS 109.640)?
5. What about consent to sex?
6. Do minors have confidentiality of health care services?