Short Term Rental Licensing
On August 18, 2023, the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners adopted a resolution suspending the processing of short-term rental license applications. Read the resolution here: Short Term Rental License Moratorium Resolution (PDF)
On February 1, 2023, the Lincoln County Board of Commissioners signed Order Number 01-23-037 (PDF). This Order established seven geographic subarea boundaries for the short term rental licensing program (see map included with Order) and limits the number of short term rental licenses in each subarea.
The Sheriff's Office will begin accepting waitlist applications (PDF) as of February 1, 2023. Please refer to our document "Limits on Licenses (PDF)" for additional information regarding the submission of waitlist applications and the future licensing process.
Below is a summary of current short term rental licenses, allowable licenses and available licenses as of August 22, 2023. This data will be updated quarterly.
The Lincoln County Board of Commissioners adopted Ordinance Number 487, Number 490, Number 509, and Number 523 to establish conditions for the operation of short term rentals of dwelling units located within the unincorporated areas of Lincoln County and to implement a licensing program to ensure compliance with those standards. The conditions established will allow the operation of such rentals in a manner that respects and protects the livability of the neighborhoods in which these rentals are located. A copy of the ordinances and Lincoln County Code 4.405 through 4.460 are available.
The Lincoln County Sheriff's Office acts as the Licensing Authority for the Short Term Rental Licensing Program. Any owner who operates a dwelling as a short term rental within the unincorporated areas of Lincoln County is required to obtain a license through the Sheriff's Office. Applications are available online or at the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office.
- $750: New Application
- $500: Renewal Application
- $75: Change in Contact Information
- $125: Reinspection fee (after 2nd inspection of dwelling)
We accept cash, credit cards, and check or money order payable to the Lincoln County Sheriff's Office. See Sheriff's Office Fee Schedule, July 1, 2023 (PDF)
Your Sheriff's Office is located at:
Lincoln County Courthouse
225 W Olive Street, Room 203
Newport, OR 97365
Business Hours (excluding holidays):
Monday through Thursday, 8 am to Noon and 1 pm to 5 pm
If you have a complaint about a short term rental violating Lincoln County Code and Ordinance Number 523, please follow these procedures:
Step 1 - Call the local contact using the phone number posted outside the short term rental or call our 24/7 Complaint Hotline (hosted by LodgingRevs) at 541-265-0666.
Step 2 - If your complaint involves noise or illegal parking and you have already completed Step 1 and have not received timely resolution, you may contact our non-emergency dispatch center at 541-265-0777 for a patrol deputy. For all other complaints that remain unresolved, please submit an online complaint by clicking here.
New Software (MUNIRevs)
On November 24, 2020, we started utilizing a new software vendor, MUNIRevs. The software houses all of the licensing data and allows owners to:
- Submit annual license applications online, including credit card payments
- Check the status of a pending license
- Receive automatic license renewal reminders via email
If you are an owner and did not receive a notification to register with MUNIRevs, please contact our office.
MUNIRevs also allows us to share live data with the public. The link provides a list of all active and licensed short term rental properties, including local contact names and phone numbers. Please keep in mind that Sheriff's Office staff are still auditing the integrated data and there is still quite a bit of "clean up" occurring.
If you have any other questions regarding the Short Term Rental Licensing program, please feel free to contact us by telephone at 541-265-0675 or by emailing Sheriff Short Term Rental Licensing during normal business hours.
- License Fee Increases, July 1, 2023 (PDF)
- Current Waitlist by Region, August 15, 2023 (PDF)
- Limits on Licenses (PDF)
- Short Term Rental Lottery Results, August 8, 2023 (PDF)
- Short Term Rental Lottery Results - March 3, 2023 (PDF)
- Short Term Rental License Waitlist Application (PDF)
- Short Term Rental Renewal License Application (PDF)
- Short Term Rental New License Application (PDF)
- DEQ Existing System Evaluation Report FAQs (PDF)
- DEQ Existing System Evaluation Report Inspectors (PDF)
- Media Release - Grandfathered Short Term Rental Deadline 13116 (PDF)
- Memo to BOC - Belmont - Short Term Rentals (52919) (PDF)
- October 31, 2022, Email to STR Owners Re- Ordinance Number 523 Updates (PDF)
- Order 8-20-253 Extending Orders 8-20-239, 7-20-190 and 6-20-169 Framework Reopening Plan Lodging 82420 (PDF)
- Order 9-20-288 Removing 24 Hour Hold Framework Reopening Plan Lodging (PDF)
- Order Number 01-23-037 Establishing Geographic Subareas and Limits on Str Licenses (PDF)
- Order Number 3-23-85 - Implementing Emergency Declaration - Short Term Rentals (PDF)
- Order Number 4-20-118 Extending Order Number 3-23-85 Implementing Emergency Declaration - Short Term Rentals (PDF)
- Order Number 5-20-136 Reopening Framework Plan for Lodging Properties (51420) (PDF)
- Order Number 6-20-169 Lodging 24 Hour Cleaning Pause (PDF)
- Order Number 7-20-190 Extending Order 6-20-169 Framework Reopening Plan Lodging (PDF)
- Order Number 8-20-239 Extending Orders 7-20-190 and 6-20-169 Framework Reopening Plan Lodging (PDF)
- Ordinance Number 487 (PDF)
- Ordinance Number 490 Amendment to Lcc (Ordinance Number 487) (PDF)
- Ordinance Number 509 Amendment to Lcc (Ordinances Number 487 and Number 490) (PDF)
- Ordinance Number 523 Amendment to Lcc (PDF)
- Resolution Number 20-21-12c Extension of STR Suspension Until June 1, 2021 (PDF)
- Resolution Number 20-21-9a Extension of STR Suspension Until December 31, 2020 (PDF)
- Resolution Number 20-27-4a Extension of Short-Term Rental License Suspension (PDF)
- Resolution Number 20-4-3b (PDF)
- Resolution Number 21-24-5a Extension of STR Suspension Until November 30, 2021 (PDF)
- Resolution Number 21-3-12a Suspension of Processing of New STR Licenses (PDF)
- Resolution Number 22-31-8a Suspension of Processing New Short Term Licenses (PDF)
- Resolution Number 22-3-2b Extension on Suspension of Processing of New STR Licenses in Zones R-1, R-1-a, and R-2 (PDF)
- Short Term Rental - Public Records Request (PDF)
- Short Term Rental License - Contact Change Form (PDF)