What You Can Do. . .
- Do not carry your Social Security number with you, either in your purse, wallet or in your car.
- If you have a private mailbox have any checks you order sent to your bank and arrange to pick them up there.
- When you order checks have your name printed differently from the way you sign it. (Use initials if you sign your full name.)
- When writing checks to pay credit card bills identify the account number using only the last four numbers.
- Either do not print your phone number on your checks at all or use your work number.
- Never print your Social Security number on your checks.
- Photocopy the contents of your wallet. Store in a safe place at home. If you are a victim use this list to call bank and credit accounts to cancel, etc.
- Keep a copy of the Financial Fraud list provided so that you have the numbers to call to report the theft and/or cancel accounts or cards.
- Make sure you call the national credit reporting agencies immediately to place a fraud alert on your name.
- Shred all mail when getting rid of it.
- Tear your name and address off of magazines before donating them to places like The Children's Advocacy Center or the Victims' Department of the District Attorney's office.
- Do not give your personal information to anyone who calls or emails you.