Animal Shelter Resources

Can LCAS help with providing food for my pets?

We sure can!  Thanks to donations from our community, we have a pet food bank program for people a little down on their luck.  We do ask that dogs be licensed, and pets be spayed or neutered within four months.  We are able to provide funding assistance for people in our food bank program. 

Category: Animal Shelter
How do I find assistance with spay/neuter?

The Central Coast Humane Society has programs to assist with community cats and those unable to afford spay/neuter surgeries.  You may reach them at 541-265-3719.  They are staffed by volunteers and normally return calls at 3:00 pm.

Category: Animal Shelter
How do I find assistance with veterinary bills?

Central Coast Humane Society administers funds provided by their own donors, FOLCAS and Beach Bark Funds to assist with community member's pet's medical emergencies.  You may call 541-265-3719 for assistance.  Please note that they are staffed by volunteers and normally return phone calls at 3:00 pm.

Category: Animal Shelter
How is the Lincoln County Animal Shelter funded?

The Animal Shelter and Animal Services Deputies are primarily funded by our community through property taxes.  There is an Animal Services Taxing District that cannot be used for any other purpose than Animal Services (funds are not and cannot be used for any other county department or anything else within the Sheriff's Office).  In addition, we are supported by fees, including licenses and adoptions, and generous donations by caring people and businesses.  Donations to our Medical Trust fund allow us to provide extensive life-saving care to animals in need.

Category: Animal Shelter
How many animals find homes? What types of animals do you adopt?

On average, LCAS adopts or reunites 900 animals per year (100% of healthy/treatable and 88% overall).  LCAS provides lost-cost owner request euthanasias and accepts all animals in need, regardless of their behavior or medical condition. 

LCAS is a “managed admissions” shelter, which means we accept surrendered pets from Lincoln County as space allows. All lost dogs and injured animals are immediately accepted.  Animals are thoroughly evaluated for both health and temperament for our adoption program. We have no breed discrimination rules. We do not euthanize any adoptable animals. All adoptable animals are with us until they find a home, or are transferred to a partner shelter--there is no time limit to their stay.

We do euthanize animals who display extreme aggression, who are suffering mentally and/or physically, or who have communicable diseases that will easily spread throughout the shelter population. The decision to euthanize an animal is never taken lightly, and each case is thoroughly assessed on an individual basis. If an animal must be euthanized, he or she is treated humanely and with respect, and all applicable laws and regulations are followed. Euthanized animals are cremated offsite.

LCAS primarily finds homes for dogs and cats; however, we do help small animals, birds, reptiles and livestock as we can.

Category: Animal Shelter
What are the adoption fees?

Adoption fees help offset the daily cost of care for our animals, and for the medical treatment they receive ranging from vaccinations to extensive surgeries.

The adoption fee is $150 for adult dogs, and $200 for puppies (under 6 months).  The adoption fee is $30 for adult cats, and $50 for kittens (under 6 months). All adoptions include initial vaccinations, spay/neuter, microchip, and a certificate for a free examination with a local veterinarian. Dog adoptions also include a one-year license, leash, collar, and two free behavior consultations.

Category: Animal Shelter
What if the adoption isn’t working out? Can I return the pet?

If you are experiencing difficulties with your new pet, we are happy to work with you to try to resolve the issue through behavior advice, tips and/or training. If you find that the match still isn’t working out, you may return the pet within 7 days of adoption to receive a full refund of your adoption fee.  We always welcome back any animal we have adopted.

Category: Animal Shelter
What is included with adoptions?

Every adoption through LCAS includes the spay/neuter surgery, initial vaccinations, flea treatment/wormer, a vet exam, and microchip. Dog adoptions also include a one-year license, collar, leash, and two behavior training sessions. In addition, we evaluate pets for health and temperament, so that we can help match adopters with the pet that’s right for them. We also offer post-adoption support to address concerns and questions that may come up after a pet goes home. In all, adopting a pet is a tremendous value for the price.

Category: Animal Shelter
Why do so many people surrender their animals? Is there something wrong with the animals?

Most animals are surrendered because the owner’s circumstances change, not because there is anything wrong with the animal. People may find that they can no longer afford to care for their animal, they need to move and their new housing does not accept pets, or they no longer have the time to spend with them. Failure to spay or neuter a pet also results in hard-to-place litters, which are then brought to the shelter.  Many animals brought to the animal shelter are healthy, temperamentally sound, and terrific companions for their new adopters.


Category: Animal Shelter
Do you accept small pets?

LCAS accepts small pets including rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, rodents, and other small animals.  Please call us to make an appointment. 

Category: Animal Shelter
Can I bring in a feral cat?

Yes, but please be aware that truly feral cats cannot be accepted into our adoption program. If you want to bring in a feral cat, please call for a morning appointment. We request a fee of $25 to safely handle and accept a feral cat.  If a cat is semi-social, we are able to place them as barn or shop cats.

We encourage you to contact the Central Coast Humane Society to learn about local Trap/Neuter/Return options. You can also contact the Feral Cat Coalition for information about caring for feral cat colonies.

Category: Animal Shelter
What do I need to do if my pet bites someone?

Call an Animal Services Deputy at 541-265-4231.  By law, dogs and cats who bite humans and break skin must be quarantined and observed for a 10-day period to ensure there are no symptoms of rabies. If an animal is up-to-date on its rabies vaccine, it usually can be observed at home. If an animal is not up-to-date on its rabies vaccine, or if the bite was a particularly dangerous one, the animal may be required to be quarantined and observed at the Lincoln County Animal Shelter at a cost of $10 per night.

Category: Animal Shelter
What should I do if I've been bitten by an animal?

Make sure to obtain the contact information for the owner and seek medical attention if necessary.  You should also report the bite to Animal Services at 541-265-0777 to file a report and to determine if the animal needs to be quarantined for rabies observation.

Category: Animal Shelter
What should I do if my dog or cat is exposed to an animal with rabies?

Dogs and cats who are current on their rabies vaccines and are exposed to an animal that is known to have rabies will require a 45-day quarantine/observation period, which can most often be done at home. Dogs and cats that are not current on their rabies vaccines require a six-month quarantine period during which time they cannot have direct contact with humans or other animals.

People often vaccinate their dogs against rabies, but fail to vaccinate their cats. Cats are more likely to come into contact with bats than dogs. Even indoor cats have been exposed to rabid bats. It is just as important to keep your cat up-to-date on rabies vaccines as it is your dog.

Category: Animal Shelter
If I witness animal abuse or neglect, what should I do?

Under Oregon law, animal caregivers must meet "minimum standards of care," which means care sufficient to preserve the health and well-being of the animal. Essentially, it means animals must be provided with potable water, food, shelter, a clean environment, and proper veterinary care.  If you believe minimum care standards are not being met, or if you believe an animal is being physically abused, has been abandoned, or is in immediate danger, please contact an Animal Services Deputy at 541-265-0777. You may also submit a citizen report online. Law enforcement may decide to remove or seize the animal and may place him or her in protective custody with LCAS.

Category: Animal Shelter
How do I report a barking dog or other nuisance?

You may contact an Animal Services Deputy through dispatch at 541-265-0777 or submit a citizen report online.

Category: Animal Shelter